Husband and wife team Parker Whiteway and Dinah Grossman opened Spinning J in 2015 after five years operating a pie delivery business out of a commissary kitchen on Chicago’s west side. After years of looking for the right retail location for a pie and ice cream shop, they found it in their own neighborhood in Humboldt Park. Dinah’s culinary background and Parker’s training as a chemist proved the perfect combination of skills to revive the soda fountain concept in a way that is modern, yet classic.
Spinning J is located on the corner of California and Augusta Avenues in the storefront of a beautiful early 1900’s building which formerly housed an art gallery. The lovely 1928 Liquid Carbonic marble bar, barstools, and brass foot rail were salvaged from a basement outside Milwaukee, and were originally built for Sanger Drug in Milwaukee where they served patrons until the 1970’s.
Spinning J was built using almost entirely reclaimed and recycled materials, from the backbar made from donated church pews and framer’s trim, to the light fixtures built from reclaimed materials, and the mix-matched vintage restaurant china and soda glasses. We hope you enjoy seeing so many old things made new again.